Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Meet Scary



When we first got married Cameron and I quickly discovered that we didn’t have any ornaments for our Christmas tree.   We ran to the store and picked up a few packs of random balls and bows and decorated our tree.  While we liked these ornaments we didn’t really love them so we decided to start surprising each other with ornaments.  Cameron went out and found me one and I found him one.   We have continued this small tradition every year.   We now also surprise each of our kids with an ornament.

This year when Cameron was out shopping he saw some cool Nutcracker ornaments so he purchased them.  On our way home from the store Brayden wanted to hold the ornaments.  After he looked at the ornaments he commented that they were “scary”.  I told him that the Nutcrackers weren’t scary and they were going to go on the Christmas tree.   He then said “no mommy scary”.  I tried to convince him to call them Nutcrackers but he would only respond with the word “scary”. 

When we got home we placed the Nutcrackers on the tree.  A week or so later I came walking down the stairs and noticed that Brayden had one of the Nutcracker ornaments in his hand.  He was bouncing the ornament up and down on the couch.   He looked up at me and said “look mommy Scary walking”.  I laughed and said yup he is walking.  Later that day I noticed Brayden was walking around the house holding a wadded up blanket.   It looked almost like he was swaddling something… I asked him who or what was in his blanket he responded by saying “Scary”.   I took a peek inside his blanket and sure enough Scary was in there.   I then noticed that the next few days Scary became one of his regular toys--he ate with him, talked to him about his cars and showed him different things outside the window.   

I put Scary back on the tree a few days ago and I figured he had forgotten about him until we made a quick trip to the store where he saw rather large Nutcrackers.  He was so excited to show me the “big Scarys”.   I guess I never looked at Nutcrackers that way but they are a bit scary looking.  

2 comments:

JD, Annie and Ellie said...

ellie thinks "scary" is cute. i am going to side with brayden he doesn't look very welcoming.

Jessica said...

This story made me laugh. What a funny kid! By the way, your Christmas card was one of my favorites. Such a GOOD picture of you guys!