Friday, June 3, 2011

Kate LaRae Kelsey

Kate LaRae Kelsey was born at Whittier Presbyterian Hospital on May 31, 2011 at 2:16pm. She was delivered by Dr. Brent Gray and was 6 lbs 1oz and was 19 inches long. We were all surprised that she came two weeks early. We decided to name her Kate because we both liked that name and LaRae after my grandma Johnson.

Here is what happened... I woke up Tuesday morning at 1:00 am with a contraction. I thought this was just a braxton hicks contraction because it didn't hurt. I continued to have contractions every 2 to 3 minutes until 5:00 am and then they spaced out to be every 4 to 6 minutes after that. I was still convinced it wasn't anything important because while I could feel that they were contractions I didn't feel very much pain. I figured it was false labor.

At 7:30am I called the doctor who said I should probably go to the hospital just to be looked at but that I didn't need to rush it. Cameron called into work and we took Brayden to the babysitter around 9:00am. We ran a few errands on the way to the hospital and I attempted to call the clinic to see if I could just go there instead of the hospital. I didn't want to go to the hospital and have them tell me what I thought I already knew (that it was just false labor contractions). Every time I called the clinic the call went to the exchange.

We pulled into the hospital around 9:30am and I decided to leave my hospital bag in the car because I figured I didn't need it. I walked into the hospital and was checked-in about five minutes later. The nurse hooked me up to the machines and said I was having contractions every 2 minutes (I thought I was only having them every 6 minutes at this point) and was at a five so I was staying. I was put in a room a little after 10:00 am.

While at the hospital I decided to watch TLC's baby story. The lady on the show chose not to have an epidural... and after watching her I decided I needed an epidural (even though the pain wasn't really there yet). At 12:00 pm they gave me the epidural and said I was still around a five. I then took a nap until 2:00pm when the doctor and nurse came to check on me. The doctor checked me and surprised me by saying I was at a ten. He broke my water and I had her at 2:16pm. Everything went smoothly and I left the hospital the next day around 5:00pm.

Below are a few hospital pictures:



18 comments:

Michael & Shawna Trimmell said...

I thought I would check your blog just in case you posted anything about baby Kate, and to my surprise you did! You're on the ball! She's beautiful! Congratulations! I'm so glad you had a quick and easy delivery. I can't wait to meet her!

Richie and Jenn Hellewell said...

She seriously is adorable Karen and I can totally see Brayden in her! I love the picture with the flower they turned out so cute. We'll have to get together when you're feeling up to it so you can show me how to make them.

The Shaws said...

Sounds like you had the ideal labor and delivery: went early, not much pain! Dr. Brent Gray is my doctor's brother (Brian Gray).

Leslie said...

Sounds like the dream delivery!! Glad everything went so good for you! I can't wait to see her in person--she is adorable!

Amanda said...

I am so glad to hear that things went so smoothly for you! She is beautiful. I'm so excited for you guys. Congratulations!

JD, Annie and Ellie said...

She's adorable and I think I see a little Brayden in her. Hope he is adjusting well. I am still trying to imagine what it would be like to have a tiny newborn and not an industrial size newborn. :)

Christi said...

Kate is so cute. Sounds like you had a pretty easy labor. You are very lucky!-Christi

Rach said...

She is the 2nd most beautiful little girl I've ever seen (sorry 1st place is taken, I just love birth stories, thanks for posting! You are gonnna love love love having a little lady in the house!

This Idaho Girl said...

Tiny or industrial sized--they are both beautiful. Braden has a "I'm not so sure about this, people" look on his face.

Jessica said...

Oh my goodness! She is so beautiful! I love her yellow bow and her star blanket. What an awesome birth story. Sounds like cake. I'm glad you didn't have to deal with a lot of pain.

Christa Chamberlin said...

Yay!! She is so cute! Seems like everything went smoothly Karen! Can't wait to meet her :) We would love to bring you dinner, please let us know when there is a night no one is bringing anything :)

This Idaho Girl said...

That last comment was from my mom. Brayden doesn't look too impressed. I can't watch A Baby Story when I'm pregnant. It freaks me out. Congrats on your wee one.

Liz said...

Congrats again! I am so glad the labor and delivery part was so smooth! I hope I am so lucky whenever it is time for #2 next year sometime. She is so beautiful! Thank you for letting me come hug her the other day! Let me know if you need any help or company.

laci said...

Congrats! She is beautiful!

Traci said...

Congrats, glad everything went so smoothly! You have a beautiful family :) Good luck this next little while!

Anna said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Chad and Anna said...

She is beautiful...congrats to you all!

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to meet her.