Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Apartment

I think moving can make anyone go a little crazy. Lately, I have felt like I don’t have enough nap time to get everything organized and put away. Oh well… I know it will all come together soon.


We have successfully moved all of our belongings from our old apartment to our new apartment. We still have the keys to our old place until Friday and I think I am going to feel a little bad when I have to turn them in. You can all call me crazy but I miss our old apartment. It was the first apartment that I have lived in that I really liked and it was the place I brought Brayden home from the hospital. I love the extra space of our new apartment and I just have to remember these are just temporary houses… I will have a home one day.


Anyway, I never realized just how much stuff we have accumulated. Cameron and I were married almost 5 years ago in September and we both moved to California in a Corolla (we both lived in furnished college housing). When I walked into my apartment for the first time Cameron had his clothes stacked in the corner of the bedroom and he had an air mattress in the middle of the floor (he wanted us both to pick out our bed) and an ironing board. We weren’t poor when we got married but if anyone came over to our apartment for the first 6-8 months it might have looked that way. We both are slow to spend money on things but as time went on we decided that a kitchen table was probably necessary followed by couches (9 months later). For the first three years of marriage any one who visited us would ask if we owned a TV(which we did it was a 10in TV hidden in our bedroom that I think I got it back in 7th grade) we then decided to purchase a TV for our front room (mostly because we didn’t want to buy a converter box). Now today we are considering getting a Satellite Dish or Cable…. our bunny ears just don’t work that great in this new place. We still aren’t sure if we want to spend the money for the TV channels yet (you can watch everything online for free).


When we put our deposit down for this apartment we weren’t able to actually tour it because it was occupied at the time. We figured that wasn’t a big deal as we never toured our old apartment. Well when we moved in the first thing I noticed was our kitchen… Let’s just say that who ever designed this kitchen doesn’t cook. The cabinets are so small and narrow. I have resorted to storing some of my kitchen items I don’t use on a daily basis in hall storage. Other then the kitchen the apartment is great! I was even able to convince maintenance to replace all the carpet and kitchen and bathroom flooring before we moved in (I told them I thought it was all looking older). I really do like our new apartment and one day I am looking forward to a house.


Here is our poorly designed kitchen... at least we got new appliances.

Kitchen and dining area


Frontroom

little Brayden

4 comments:

Liz said...

Looks good! I'm so glad you got the new carpet and appliances! We can't wait to see it this afternoon :) And you and Brayden !!

Amy + Justin said...

yes, packing can make a girl a bit crazy. I also understand the nostalgia you feel towards your old apartment. I felt the same way when we moved a couple weeks ago. when we drove away I got all teary eyed and told justin we needed to go back and take a picture. of course, he's a man and didn't understand what the big deal was about. Won't it be nice to have places of our own one day?

Unknown said...

New flooring! You scored. I'm jealous that you guys are slow to spend. I think B and I are exactly the opposite. Your house looks great!

Unknown said...

Oh, the last comment was me, Jessica, not Brian. I guess I was logged in as him. Carry on.