We have settled into our new life in Idaho. It’s amazing the differences between Southern California and the small towns of Idaho.
Some of the biggest changes we have felt is in the cost of living. Like I mentioned in another blog post our rent was cut in half and we gained a bedroom and more living space. We have saved about 60% on our auto insurance since moving and we haven’t changed one thing about it except the state in which we live. Groceries are quite a bit cheaper (mostly in the dairy and meat sections). Gas is under $3.00 a gallon and has been for a while. I don’t have a Target close by so I am spending less money. The average house price is in the hundred thousand dollar range. Sales tax is now 6% vs almost 10% in California. I hear to send your kid to preschool it’s under a $100 ($65ish) a month here while in California it was $150-175. I am sure there are many other things I have yet to see here like the cost of healthcare. I am sure having a baby here in Idaho won’t cost $26,000 and I doubt an outpatient kidney store removal costs more then $33,000 (that is what our insurance paid in California).
The scary things about Idaho… You can get your drivers license at the young age of 15 (used to be 14 when my mother grew up here). In California many kids don’t get their drivers licenses until 18 unless they want to pay private teachers. Over the summer 40 rattlesnakes were killed at Cameron’s new company’s construction site. Both of our cars have been keyed (maybe we should change our license plates). There are 34 nursery age kids in our ward and about 10 coming in this year (there are two nurseries and I think they need three…).
Things I miss about California…The sunny weather. I really do miss the 70 degree weather year around. I miss the restaurant options. I loved BJ’s Pizzeria, Chipotle, PF Changs, the Cheesecake Factory, Parkers Lighthouse, In-N-Out, and many others… I am sure I will lose some weight now. I miss all the nice friends and people I knew there.
Things I like about Pocatello/Chubbuck… The local mall has “stork parking” for expecting mothers and mothers with infants (I only wish the mall had more to offer (they don’t have one children’s clothing store). Almost every time I unload my grocery cart someone offers to take the cart back to the store for me (this is nice when you have two little ones). Neighbors and people in general are more open and friendly. We have yet to shovel snow from our walkway as our neighbors always get to it before we do. I love that there is no traffic at all around this area. I know exactly how long it will take me to get from point A to point B. I love that my family is only an hour drive away.
1 comment:
I bet you miss your shopping, and the perfect climate. I honestly don't know how anyone affords living in California. Does anyone understand why it is so expensive?
Post a Comment