Seven years and one day ago was July 15th 2005. Cameron had already started his job in
California and I was still living in Ogden going to school. I had
plans of going out to visit him for the weekend and needed a ride to the
airport. I called my friends Jessica and
Jenna and they willingly took me down to Salt Lake. I almost didn’t give myself enough time and
walked right though security and directly onto the plane. I was the last one to board. I arrived in Los Angeles in the afternoon and
Cameron picked me up in his little red Honda hatchback two door car that he affectionately
called “The Tomato.” He informed me his
car wasn’t going to pass the State of California inspections so he needed a new
one. He took me to a local Toyota
dealership and we started shopping.
Cameron had already done his research on the car market in
the area and knew this dealership offered deals on Corollas. We test drove a few and said we would be
back in the morning to purchase one.
The next morning was Saturday July 16th. We drove down to Buena Park to pick up our
car. Our car color choices were blue,
red, white or black. Cameron told me
that I got to pick the color so I picked blue.
I have always liked that color.
We signed a few papers and paid $12,777 for our brand new car. Cameron then made a few phone calls and sold
“The Tomato” to a family in Green River, Wyoming.
Later that evening Cameron told me he had heard of a good
seafood restaurant in Long Beach. He
had made a reservation and we headed that way.
Cameron is horrible with directions and needless to say we got
lost. We were late for our reservations
but they still took us.
We ate at Parkers’ Lighthouse. We had a great table with views of the ocean
and the lights on the Queen Mary. Cameron
ordered swordfish for dinner (he likes to try new things) and I ordered a
simple Caesar shrimp salad. After dinner Cameron told me that we had one more place to go that evening.
He drove me down the street to a place called Naples in Long
Beach. We stopped in front of a small
little shop called “Gondola Getaways”.
We got out of the car and walked down a dock to a Gondola. A man dressed in a blue and white striped
shirt and a straw hat was there to meet us.
He informed us that he was our Gondolier for the evening and then he helped
us into to a gondola. An employee then
told us to smile as he snapped a few pictures of us. He then gave us a basket full of different
breads and cheeses and then handed us two glasses and proceeded to pour sparkling
juice into them. The Gondolier then
switched on a small cd player that played classical music (apparently he wasn’t
a singer).
The gondolier began to paddle and told us we were to kiss
whenever we are under a bridge. It was
pitch black outside and all you could see were the stars, moon and lights from
the houses we passed by. The water was
black except for when it was touched by the paddle or our fingers. When the water was touched the water would
turn different colors as it swirled away from us.
We were enjoying our ride making small talk when the boat
stopped under a large bridge. I then noticed Cameron was trying to kneel down
on one knee in a gondola. Needless to
say it was a bit difficult or awkward for him.
He then proceeded to tell me how much he loved me and then asked me if I
would marry him. I of course said yes, we
kissed, and he placed the ring on my finger (it was still so dark outside I
couldn’t even see what it really looked like).
We enjoyed the rest of our ride together and stopped at the little shop
afterwards to pick up our picture.
The next day I caught a flight back home so I could start
planning our wedding.



2 comments:
I love this story! Cameron did such a good job making it a special night. I loved your wedding, by the way. I remember so much about that day for some reason. I just remember thinking what a sweet, beautiful, young bride you were. And I loved your home town. B and I were so impressed with it's beauty. It was a very relaxing and wonderful weekend for us. I wish we could re-live it.
Can't believe this was 7 years ago! Time has gone so fast.
Post a Comment