Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Toddler issues

Two things… first I am not sure my child’s “time out” rug is working. Sunday he was placed on it three times for hitting me when he was upset. I only leave him on it for a minute or two at a time. We then talk about not hitting and work on saying the word “sorry”. Well Monday I was busy in his room rearranging his furniture and measuring to make sure the bedroom set we just purchased will fit. I guess I wasn’t paying enough attention to him because I found him three different times pouting/whining while sitting on his time out rug. Maybe he just thinks the rug is where he gets the most attention???

Second thing is my child has been playfully biting me. Every time this occurs I immediately tell him to stop and he gets time out. Well tonight when I went to brush his teeth he ran over to me and “playfully” bit my stomach. It hurt and left a mark that my OB doctor will get to see tomorrow. He thought he was being funny and doesn’t seem to get that it’s not a nice thing to do. I really don’t want to bite him back… but I am afraid one day he will bite someone else.

(the bite)

3 comments:

The Shaws said...

I wouldn't bite him back (that is coming from my experience with behavior therapy and not from personal experience with my kids) I would give it as little attention as possible and remove him from your presence. Ex: "We don't do that," and then carry him to another room, shut the door and walk away. Sorry, to get so in depth...just the behavior analyist side of me coming out. You could also tell the doctor that Cameron bit you, but that might be even more embarrassing:)

Dana said...

Vance went through that phase for about a month, and then he must have lost interest in it, because he just stopped doing it. Maybe it was our stern tone of voice that convinced him to stop, but who knows?

Liz said...

That little stinker. I don't know why our sweet little guys do this but Ben has done the same thing (he bites my shoulder). It is hard to not react because it hurts!
That is kind of cute about how he pouts on the rug. Keep up the good work Karen. I am glad you posted this because I realize I'm not the only one with these issues!